It is almost the weekend again and I am just now putting some words down about our very long Memorial Day weekend and a trip to Ft. Collins.
I blame my absence on early benadryl induced bedtimes this week; I guess whatever I've become allergic to since we moved back to Colorado is back in bloom.
The wonders of the immune system...
----------
We were absolutely spoiled with a 4-day weekend last week thanks to Julian's new work schedule, which has off Friday's every other week, and also Memorial Day.
I can't remember the last time we spent four days home together as a family, I think it was probably when Eli was born.
On Friday, Julian took both boys to the zoo, just the boys.
I had a very nice break, I spent exactly half of it resting...marveling at how clean and quiet the house stayed, and the other half catching up on various odds and ends that have been lingering on my to-do list for seemingly forever.
On Saturday we had some friends over to celebrate opening day at our swimming pool.
The boys loved being in the water, I wondered how Eli would do in the pool but he was a very brave little guy. He marched right in the water and just kept going until he went under, Julian retrieved him and from then on he stayed in shallower waters.
Laura and I were relaxing and catching up until she had to jump in the water and save Kippy who was sort of, kind of, a little bit drowning while the Dad's were in charge.
Definitely a little reminder of how close an eye we have to keep on these little guys, pools and parking lots make me a bit anxious.
![]() |
| All four of our little fishes. |
After that little scare we had a great time, I am looking forward to many more days spent over at the pool, which is just a minute drive away from our house.
Our day ended with dinner at our house, where two little boys (Max and Kippy always) stayed up way past their bedtime dancing on tables.
Good times.
![]() |
| This is a picture of our boys just one year ago on Memorial Day weekend. Eli is just 2 months old and oh so tiny. |
Hard to believe how fast these boys are growing up.
The rest of the weekend was filled with projects around the house and yard, the days stretched out long and it seemed like time slowed down a little bit so we could just catch our breath and enjoy each other.
Julian and I caught each others eye and tried to suppress smiles when Max told us he was "too busy" to go to time out.
Eli has had a big explosion in his language development lately, and we all gathered around to celebrate his newest and sweetest word, "Max".
I didn't expect it. but hearing him say his brothers name out loud really tugged at my heart.
I didn't expect it. but hearing him say his brothers name out loud really tugged at my heart.
On Memorial Day we let the boys carry flags when we went for a walk on one of our favorite trails.
Julian grew up in a military family, moving across Germany and the US throughout his childhood.
His brother, Lamar, joined the army last year.
We hope to raise our boys with an appreciation and sensitivity for the sacrifices of those that serve our country, and their families who feel the absence.
We talked with Max a bit about the flag, and emphasized that you hold it high, you wave it slow.
I think the message sunk in, he waved it with pride.
We are grateful for those that sacrifice much to protect our freedom.
----------
When Tuesday finally came, we were not ready to say goodbye to Daddy.
Max made a fuss about Julian heading off to work, saying, "Take me with you."
Heartbreaking.
Thankfully we had a fun day planned, a trip up to Ft. Collins to see our friends Natalie and Evie at the Museum of Discovery.
![]() |
| Max's favorite exhibit of the day. |
Natalie is expecting her little one any day now, so it was nice to spend some time together as they await baby's arrival.
There is nothing like a science museum to distract you for a few hours!
![]() |
| The color wall kept Max and Evie still and occupied for a long time, amazing! |
![]() |
| Eli climbed up here all by himself to roll the ball down the track. He is quite the independent fellow these days. |
The museum just recently opened, and I was very impressed, the exhibits were very engaging and kid friendly. Max already seems to have the mind of an engineer, so he was right at home, tinkering with one thing after another. I suppose this shouldn't surprise me, considering he comes from two Caltech grads...we all kind of hope at least one of our kids will be an artist or something, to diversify the family a bit (looking at you Eli).
In any case, Max was in love with the Museum of Discovery...until he met the tornado chamber.
As soon as I saw it, I knew he would want to go in. He is impressed and interested in anything and everything that seems powerful. So naturally a machine that simulates wind blowing at 80 mph caught his attention. At first he just stood and watched. I felt confident that he had a grasp of what happened in there, so when he asked to go in, I let him.
![]() |
| about 3 seconds before a massive meltdown in the chamber |
He was okay until about 30mph when he started screaming...which turned into crying...and begging me to open the door.
I don't think you can open the door to a wind machine, so I just stood really close and told him it would be over soon.
But I think this might go down as the first traumatic experience of his childhood.
Poor little guy.
We recovered with a picnic lunch out in the sunshine, and Natalie shared the most delicious cookies I have ever tasted.
She shared her recipe with me and I have already passed it on to 3 more people after making them for a play date this week.
Life changing cookies, I promise you.
There was a coffee shop nearby, so I of course need a dose of caffeine before we headed home.
![]() |
| This picture is just so Eli. I love it. |
Oh, how I love a good coffee shop, one of my favorite places to take pictures.
I could have done without Eli spilling strawberry smoothie everywhere, and Max breaking the bells off of the front door...but all things considered we had a good time.
![]() |
| Coffeeeeeeeeee! |
I can't help but think, the next time we see these two girls they will likely be introducing us to a precious new member of their family.
We hold them in our thoughts and prayers as we all await the good news, even Max will periodically ask about Natalie's baby, it's very sweet.
After all that fun, this short week has flown by and here we are making plans for the weekend again...so grateful for these early summer days, even though benadryl has been my best friend this week ;)





































1 comment:
Such a sweet post. Thanks, Jess!
Post a Comment