Friday, April 12, 2013

A hard week, a good week

As a mother, I don't think there is anything more terrifying than health related issues with little ones. Over the past week both Max and Eli have needed to be seen by specialists, thankfully the outcomes of all of these appointments have been good, but it has been a trying week. 
In the midst of uncertainty we have much to be grateful for.  
A phenomenal pediatrician, who is incredibly compassionate...she literally sat with me, handing me tissues, as I cried in her office. Her connections with other outstanding doctors and ability to get us in the next day to see a doctor who typically has a wait list on the order of months. 
We are also blessed to have two doctors in the family, and in town this week, Chris and Jenny, who not only provided advice and reassurance but also sought input from one of the top pediatric specialists in the country regarding Max for us {thank you Aunt Jenny, we love you!}. 
Thankfully the conclusion from this flurry of appointments is that both boys are in great health and we hope to look back on these issues as small bumps along the development journey.
This jolt out of our normal routine has been eye opening for me though, a reminder of how fragile our bodies are and how precious our time is together. 
I had fallen into the habit of letting Julian do bedtime with the boys, taking the opportunity to have some quiet time to myself to write e-mails/edit pictures/read/etc. 
The past few days I find myself sitting next to Max's bed, with my head on his pillow, listening to his stories of the day and watching him drift of to sleep.
I make sure to bend over and give Eli an extra kiss as I tip toe out of their room. 
---------
After 4 days in a row spent in doctors offices, it has been nice to have some time with friends and family over the past couple of days. 

Ish hosted a fun play date which included yummy food, good company, and bubbles! 





The toddlers did a great job taking turns with the bubble wand, which was rather impressive to see. It was so much fun that I was able to mostly ignore the snow still on the ground from our most recent spring blizzard. 
I have decided that I am no longer participating in winter, I just can't, so we plan to go on spending our days outside blowing bubbles and such.  





This next picture made me laugh, not a great photo overall but one that sort of captures what our play dates are like. 


Chaos. 
The last time Julian was at an event with all of the toddlers present he mentioned that he couldn't believe how loud they are, and how tiring it is chasing them. 
Yes and yes. 
It is much better for them to expend all of that energy together though, than for me to try to keep Max occupied at home all day. 
We love our noisy play dates. 
----------
On Thursday night I had the opportunity to meet the author of one of my favorite blogs, Glennon Melton. Ish and I attended her book signing event at our beloved local book store. 




I find her writing about motherhood to be relatable and refreshing. 
We laughed, we cried, we hugged. 
I think Glennon must have been there all night signing, she was taking so much time to talk and connect with each person who came to the event, pretty special. 



---------

Finally, we had another visit from Uncle Chris, Aunt Jenny, and Indy! 
 Both boys, but especially Max, love to have his Aunt and Uncle around to play...and his new cousin :) 







We so wish they lived closer and we will miss them when they head back to St. Louis to start their residencies/home buying/wedding planning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment