I was rushing around getting the boys ready for a playdate Friday morning when the news caught my attention. It took a few minutes for the story to really sink in. Heartbreak. It felt like Columbine all over again, way too close to home, and tragedy at a place I previously thought was safe and secure.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. We held them in our hearts this weekend.
This event was yet another reminder of how fragile life is.
I kissed and hugged my boys a little extra this weekend.
--------
We celebrated our cousin's first birthday on Saturday.
![]() |
| Max volunteered to test out Haylee's birthday presents, and Eli snuggled with Uncle Steve. |
I can't believe sweet Haylee is already a year old. It seems like just yesterday I got the text announcing her arrival. Max took a liking to Haylee's things, particularly her sun hat and bunny ears, and they had a great time playing with a rocking horse together.
Happy Birthday Haylee!
--------
We woke up early to watch the final stage of the Tour de France on Sunday morning. It was surreal to watch our friend Tejay van Garderen slip on the white jersey of the best young rider.
![]() |
| Go Tejay! |
It's hard to believe that the same Tejay I watched grow up with my brother, the same Tejay who has kept us laughing through numerous gatherings, camping trips, and cook-offs is now up on that podium. Just so the whole world knows, Tejay discovered that he could do the splits on the dance floor at our wedding :)
![]() |
| A few pictures of Tejay over the years, including the first time he met Max. They both have bed head because the picture was taken at 4am before Tejay caught a flight :) |
Now he is the best young rider in the world, and the future of American cycling. We could not be more proud and excited for you 'Uncle Tejay'!
--------
We also took a trip to the Renaissance Festival on Sunday.
It felt good to wander around outside and get caught up in another time and place.
![]() |
| The boys in 'the bus' |
The boys were serenaded by ladies with violins as we entered. It was fun to watch their faces as they took in all of the new sights, sounds, and smells.
![]() |
| Two beautiful girls. |
We were accompanied by our friends Dave, Ish, and Shirhi. Shirhi sat and waited patiently while her face was painted, pretty amazing for a toddler. I too got my face painted at the Renaissance Festival when I was a little girl, and I'll never forget how special I felt and how I went out of my way to find every mirror to make sure my butterfly was still there :)
![]() |
| My little warrior... |
We were just in time to watch some jousting. The babies cheered for our Knight in shining armor. Naturally, Max loves anything that involves both horses and big sticks.
![]() |
| Eli making his baby bird face. |
We had worked up quite an appetite and no trip to the Renaissance Fair is complete with out the giant turkey leg. Poor Eli. He has been desperate to try food lately and his sense of injustice was definitely tingling as he watched the rest of us tear into the turkey legs. He stared intently at that turkey, eyes pleading, mouth open...sorry little guy, next year for sure!
![]() |
| Runaway groom...hahaha |
There was a little chapel for weddings and the toddlers obliged our request to walk down the aisle holding hands. The oohing and aahing lasted a few minutes, but it quickly turned into a game of tag for Max and Shirhi. Of course, Max being the king of all wild things, he ran straight at the alter and didn't bother stopping. He tumbled right under it and took the basket with him. I was sure he would come out screaming and bloody, but no, he was unscathed.
![]() |
| Aww! Kisses make everything better. |
This is the second summer we have gone to the Festival with our friends and it is becoming one of my favorite summer traditions.
![]() |
| Max was over it at this point, can you tell? |
We struggled to find a weekend that worked this year due to the extreme heat, but I'm so glad we finally made it.
Huzzah!













No comments:
Post a Comment