Wednesday, October 23, 2013

An 18-month old...

Interrupting my fall obsession posts to say a few words about our littlest boy, sweet Eli, who is now 1 and half (so hard to believe).


This boy has such a beautiful spirit, so sweet and gentle, he continues to be very easy going (for a toddler). 

That being said, he is definitely a toddler now and his outlet of choice for that toddler frustration is a very loud and high pitched scream. We have all learned to cover our ears and ride it out. Thankfully he is almost always happy and his tantrums don't last long. 

Cognitive and language development lately has been amazing to see. We hear him putting words together to make simple sentences like "more football"... "stop car"... "drink juice"..."what's this?". Just this week he saw someone on a bicycle wearing a bike kit and said "Tejay", "Uncle Tejay"...we couldn't believe it! 

For the longest time he's insisted on referring to all animals and most automobiles by the sound they make instead of the actual name. Car, truck, and bus all had very distinct and repeatable automobile noises. We have loved his quirky way of communicating but I've noticed that he is slowly switching over to the conventional labels, which is good I suppose, but we will miss his noises. 

He loves to sit on my lap and read books, we are currently working on the ABC's (he knows a,b,c,e,s,m) and colors. 

Anyone who knows him can attest to the fact that he never stops eating. Ever
I was going to list some favorites but I can't narrow it down, I would say his favorite food groups are fruit and dairy perhaps, but he truly just loves all food. I think he has grown a lot since his 15-month appointment, just judging by the way he has grown out of clothes and now wears Max's old 2T and 3T outfits...but we will get the official measurement in a couple of weeks!



We finally let him have a pillow and comforter in his crib, just like the ones in big brother's bed. The first night he slept with his entire body on top of the pillow. It was so sweet it brought tears. He is so proud of his big boy blanket too, he likes to bring it downstairs in the mornings for cuddles. 

One minute he's eating yogurt the next he's asleep. 

Speaking of sleep, I continue to be amazed by his ability to self soothe. If he gets tired and we haven't started nap time...he just goes to sleep...anywhere and everywhere. If I put him in his crib for nap time and he isn't tired, he just sits and reads books until he is sleepy. 
We are grateful that he is such a great eater and sleeper for sure! 



I love that we get to spend a day together one-on-one while Max goes to preschool. I take him to music class where he is just adored by his teacher. We have noticed his affinity for music since infancy and he continues to be a very musical child. He can hum the tune of ABC's, row row row your boat, the Baby Signing Times theme, and the Monday night Football theme (thanks to Daddy). His music teacher says he has "natural intuitive rhythm" as he keeps a steady beat in class. We were stopped by a different music teacher while shopping in Target a couple of weeks ago, she had overheard his humming and she asked if we play a lot of opera music (we don't,ever). Apparently he has a beautiful singing voice and she said we might have the next Pavarotti on our hands...this definitely made me laugh! I am considering adding some opera into our music rotation. 
While it seems almost unimaginable that a child from Julian and me could have singing ability, you never know, right? 


Each day, I try to remember to set up some activities in different rooms to let the boys play alone if they want, to give them some independent space. 
Eli never wants to be separated from his brother. 
Even if he comes to me in tears over a toy that Max won't share, he wants to hop right back in the game after a quick hug. 
That brother bond amazes me.

I am grateful to be experiencing this stage for the second time. 
When Max was this age, I was almost 9-months pregnant, due any day and just exhausted.
 Every morning when I wake up I take a few minutes to pray over the day and think about the ways I want to be deliberate with my time. "Marvel Eli" has become a phrase that I repeat to myself each morning.
 It is such a balancing act, parenting these two rambunctious little boys. While I am certain that Eli has been held, cuddled, photographed etc. just as much as his big brother, I do worry that in the midst of busyness I haven't had as much time to just sit and marvel over Eli. 
 His silky hair and long eyelashes. 
The way his mouth makes a full pout when he says the word "No". 
His precious hugs, and how he always holds on so tight and lays his head on my shoulder. 
This boy warms our hearts. 

Happy 18-months, sweet boy! 







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy 1.5 birthday Eli! What a precious boy, thanks for sharing Jess! I especially love the picture of him sleeping in his high-chair, so cute!!!!!

Post a Comment