Monday, March 11, 2013

A little piece of the family tree



Waaaay back in August 2007 I married my very best friend. 
Everyone told us to go make beautiful babies. 
Actually, they told us to finish our PhD's first and then make beautiful babies...but we caught the baby bug 3 years later and left academia behind. 

When I was pregnant with Max, I would try to imagine what he might look like, but it was difficult because we have such a diverse gene pool between the two of us. 
We know other interracial couples similar to us who have blonde haired and fair skinned babies, and others whose kids have darker skin, hair, and eyes. 

My first thought when I held Max was, wow, he looks like my brother. 
When I first saw Eli I thought he looked a lot like Julian's brother. 

Chris, Tejay, and Lamar singing at our wedding :) 
I put together some baby photos of the four of us as a way to more clearly see who they look like these days. Most people say they look more like Julian, and actually I get asked a lot if I am their mother, some people have even asked if I adopted Eli!
I also get asked what their ethnicity is, which I guess the correct answer is German/African American/Mexican and then a smaller percentage of many other things, according to my grandma we even have some Cherokee in the family.




I do think they look a bit like me, even though you may not see it at first glance, I definitely see their Daddy in those little faces too. 

I was definitely a child of the 80's
There are times when I see a lot of my little brother in both Max and Eli, which I guess makes sense because they are boys? 

I can't get over baby Julian in his lederhosen, what a cutie! 
I definitely see myself in Max when he makes certain facial expressions. 

Max makes the same exact face that I am making in this picture, haha. 
So there you have it. 
They definitely look like their Daddy, I think they look a little bit like me too, but with the melanin I  have always wished I had :)  
They look like each other, but most of all they have their own unique faces (as every baby does). 
I love every hair on their head and I am so grateful for these beautiful healthy boys! 



3 comments:

Ish said...

SO CUTE!!!

Unknown said...

I love this!!! You are all beautiful through the ages! And, I think you still make that face sometimes, haha :)

Jess said...

Haha...I so do, and every time I see Max do it, it makes me laugh! Thanks for the comments and brunch on Sunday :D

Post a Comment