Sunday, January 6, 2013

A funk...


We have been in a post-Christmas funk around here. 
It started Wednesday morning when Julian went back to work...
All three of us were out of sorts. 
Max asked approximately every 10-minutes, "Where's Daddy?"
And by the end of the day I was asking myself the same thing...




January, February, and March are rough months for me in terms of weather (and weather has a major influence on my mood, I'm sensitive like that)...I feel ready for spring as soon as Christmas is over, but in January, winter is really just getting started. 
Which means we are trapped inside way more than any of us are comfortable with. 

Stopping to give brother a hug, while boiling some watermelon...


lamenting an empty cupboard
Add on top of that, a Daddy back at work, the continued potty training of Max (which goes really well when we focus on it 100% and not so well when we try to incorporate it into our regular life), and the sleep training/coaching/whatever you want to call gently and lovingly helping Eli learn how to put himself to sleep...
And you definitely have a funk. 



Note to self: wipe those sticky hand prints off of the dresser.

We tried to raise our spirits with a trip to Monkey Bizness on Friday, but apparently everyone else had the same idea. They were full past capacity and there was a wait list to play. 
I tried to break the news gently to Max as we set outside in the parking lot, he was giddy with excitement about the bounce house. 
I said, " Max, there are too many people playing right now, we have to wait and come back later." 
He moaned, " I can't. I won't. No Mommy. I just can't." 
Which did make me chuckle a little, but he has been using those phrases a lot the past few days...
He just can't/won't take a nap, go to bed, pick up toys etc....silly toddlers.
Ish saved the day by inviting us to story time, thank you friend!

We are officially on walk watch...could be days or months, but it's going to happen!



A bright part of the week is Eli standing more and more all by himself, I watched as he stood up all by himself in the middle of the living room, without pulling up on anything. Not sure if this is due to the arrival of January, but even this happy development is causing me distress because I feel like my baby is growing up way too fast. Tonight at dinner, Julian commanded Eli to "Stop growing up, just stop." So hopefully he was listening. 

I tried to cheer myself up by making an owl hat for Eli this weekend, my friend Nicole taught me how to make this adorable hat. 
I spent about 3 hours of my life stitching away...

I thought I was safe making a toddler sized hat.
 Only to make a skull cap...I mean, this hat was way too small. 
Eli cried every time I tried to squeeze his head in it. 
I blame the funk. 
(PS- Any friends with babies with normal sized heads want a blue/gray owl hat?)

Determined to turn the mood around, I started over...
2 hours later (yes, I got a little faster the second time around)...


We had this! It felt good to have a little success this weekend, now I just need to get all of the accessories on there and it will be really cute. 
This is a big deal for someone as craft-challenged as I am, and I believe a sure sign that we are coming out of our mini-hello January-depression. 

Eli has been the least affected by the post-holiday slump...he's pretty much always in good spirits (except when we make him sleep in his crib).


Finally...here is a little video of Eli teasing us with his contemplations of walking...
We gather around to cheer him on many times a day, but no steps yet!


Uncle Chris arrives tomorrow...looking forward to his visit and hopefully better spirits around here!

2 comments:

Natalie said...

I can totally relate with the early year blahs! I try to break up the months with things to look forward to...Super bowl party in January, Valentine's Day in February is something festive to look forward to, and you now have a March baby, too, so you can start planning for a one-year-old birthday party...hooray!

Jess said...

That's a great way to look at it Natalie...we will make our way to April/May little by little. I always say that Eli is the best thing that has ever happened to me in March :D There has to be good things about January...I just need to find them!

Post a Comment