Ever since our first Christmas as parents, when Max was just a wee 4-months old, we vowed that we would make every effort to spend Christmas at home as a family.
I'll never forget that first Christmas morning, still basking in our new- parent- glow (yes, that is a thing), Julian and I running around in a crazed fashion to make sure everything was perfect for our sweet little babe.
| A picture of Max on his first Christmas just to complete this trip down memory lane. |
It's hard to believe that the season is upon us again, but here we are....quickly approaching what will be Max's 3rd Christmas and Eli's first.
We've been working on 'decking our halls' I guess you could say, although both Julian and I are very minimalist in our design taste, so there's nothing too fancy happening over here.
![]() |
| The Santa is our advent calendar. Julian loves advent calendars, I guess this is a German thing. |
Those who know me well know that I had a serious internal debate about whether to put a tree up this year. I just wasn't sure if I had the energy to try to keep that thing standing for ~26 days. We settled on yes, for the sake of tradition. I really wanted to get a real tree this year, I am not a fan of the chemicals/toxins in artificial trees and lights, but I figured it would be easier to pick up the tipped over tree if there wasn't water involved.
Hopefully we will graduate to a real tree next year!
I am happy to report that we placed the tree in a location where it is blocked by a baby gate... so far the boys have admired it from afar, no one has put anything yucky in their mouth, and the tree has not been knocked over (yet).
![]() | ||
We are trying out a new approach to the Christmas list this year. A friend recommended the, " I want, I need, I'll wear, I'll read" system as a way to keep this time of year about the message of Christmas, and not presents. I love the simplicity, I think this will be a new tradition for us.
Of course, we have to have some seasonal books around. Books and blankets are my soft spots when it comes to baby "stuff", I know that many moms ooh and aah over the tiny clothes, but for me it is the books and blankets.
Max and Eli love to see the house all lit up, we listen to Christmas carols every day, and I smile every time I hear Max sing his own rendition of "Twinkle Bells, Twinkle Bells".
I always enjoy taking pictures of my boys, but I find myself feeling more sentimental about the pictures from this time of year. The twinkly lights are a perfect background, throw in some Santa jammies and cookies...I'm practically in tears because it is so sweet to see.
I remember this time last year, we were just starting the 3rd trimester and Eli was very active in my belly. I would sit next to the Christmas tree and wonder what my little boy would look like, what he would be like...and I would think of Mary, who was once pregnant with a little boy too.
We are so glad to have Eli here to participate in the festivities this year.
12 days more to go, and we look forward to time with friends and family.
We are soaking up all of the sights, sounds, smells, and spirit of Christmas!







No comments:
Post a Comment