Sunday, January 12, 2014

A sunny day in January

It is my hope that this will be the year I finally make peace with winter. 
Every year I dread it, fight it, resist it...and at least according to my Hypnobirthing book, I'm making the experience more painful (if you can even compare those two things, hmm, I'm going with it). 
To miss out on the good and beauty of 3-4 months (or more) 
of the year is certainly a loss, I think. 
So with that in mind, I'm seeking out all there is to grateful for in January (and February, and March) this time around... 

It was easy this weekend, as we strolled through the botanic gardens on an almost 60 degree sunny day. As we walked, I looked, and sure enough, January has a lot to offer. 


I love to take pictures of water. So simple yet beautiful. 



We met up with my Mom and the boys soaked up the extra attention. 
The botanic gardens may not sound like an ideal place for little boys, but they love to run through these trails (and thankfully it was pretty empty, another January perk). When we are here, they are on an adventure,  out discovering new lands...

We learned about insect houses...





And even though Christmas is over, there is still bokeh to be found. I have become a bit of a bokeh hunter with my camera lately, I just can't get enough of this beautiful background. 



Trying to life Max up into the bokeh, but he's scared of heights.  

There's even a little piece of eternal summer here, in the greenhouse. Compared to the dry air outside the humidity almost felt suffocating, but it was so warm. 



This little orange brought about an intense pang of nostalgia for Caltech, and the walkways lined with orange trees. 

We finished up with a little snack in the coffee shop, and left invigorated by the fresh air and sunshine, I love our trips here. 



I leave you with this picture of broken ice that reminded me of one of my favorite quotes, so I had to combine the two. 


Happy January! 
{I've been listening to this song on repeat (sorry Julian)}

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love this! Thanks for the reminder. Also, Jared's mom always had her boys traipsing through botanic gardens when they were young and now he is a lover of flowers...good for you, their wives will thank you for it someday!

Post a Comment