Saturday, November 23, 2013

A lot of celebrating, my 30th birthday!


Writing to you all from the other side of 30!
I did it (not that I had a choice really). 

I've been meaning to put a post together for awhile now, but lately I feel afraid to write. 
As a thirty year old, I should probably stop ending most sentences with an exclamation point (they look sad to me without one). I should probably stop overusing ellipsis, and while I'm at it I should also stop starting sentences with ""and" and "but". Perhaps the emoticons should go too. 
These were all things that felt comfortable as a twenty something, but now, I'm thirty.

The problem is, the magical wave of maturity I've always imagined coming with the big 3-0, has not reached me, yet.
Maybe it never will?

In any case, I plan carry on with exclamation points, ellipsis, and emoticons...but I do feel a little guilty about it now.
----------

I have been absolutely spoiled with celebrations this year, lots of little gatherings with my favorite people, I really can't imagine a better way to usher in a new decade.

My first little birthday party was with our dear friends Natalie, Jared, Evie, and Lydia.




I had asked Natalie if she would take some "30th birthday pictures", I wasn't even sure what such pictures would look like, but she made this adorable cake, found the perfect candles, and took these great pictures. I am one that much prefers to be behind the lens rather than in front of it, but I am so grateful for these fun birthday pictures!

We also did our seasonal family picture swap, of course the kids really look forward to these sessions (kidding).





I always go in with a little bit of hope that we will get a picture that can make an appearance on Christmas cards without scaring people, but my most favorite pictures are the outtakes.
I love the ones with funny faces.

This was the first time I've taken pictures near a real barn, it was such a fun back drop! Really, this was the perfect place to take pictures because there was also a park nearby where the kids play in between forced smiles. At the very moment we arrived another car full of people arrived to take family pictures as well, with a real professional photographer even (I think)!




We got a bunch of good shots this year, Natalie always does a great job, I think it also helps that Jared goes to great lengths to get the boys to look and smile. This next picture made me laugh because he was throwing a toy up and down in the air to get the little boys attention...

You too, Julian?! . 
Too funny.

My most serious "look at me, I'm thirty" face.





After we had tortured everyone snapped enough pictures, we had a yummy Greek dinner and cake back at Jared and Natalie's.
I really felt so special, they even put up a banner for my little birthday party.

I had a little helper. 
It was a great start to my 30th birthday week!
Thank you friends, from the bottom of my heart.
----------

The early celebrating continued with a fun girls night out.
We had dinner at a place called Dolce Vita, life is sweet, isn't that the truth?



I may or may not have dropped my phone in a chocolate mousse trying to take a picture of dessert.
It's always nice to get some adult time, and this was a fun outing to celebrate November birthdays!
----------

By Tuesday, the day before the big day, I was feeling a little bit sad.
Just because sometimes it feels like life is passing by too fast.
Since Max had preschool the next day, I decided we should make our annual trip to our favorite bookstore, we always do this on/around my birthday.

Had to stop at Starbucks first. I got one of these for the boys to share, which seemed like a great idea until I had to break him in half...

I never thought I would have kids before thirty. I think these two beautiful souls are the biggest surprise for me, as far as "where I thought I'd be" at thirty and where I've  actually ended up. I was supposed to graduate with my PhD around this time, winter 2013, I am so profoundly grateful for these two souls who are the result of a big leap of faith.  


This bookstore is one of my favorite places, and we haven't been in awhile, so it was nice to be back in those cozy chairs.
I always let the boys pick one book, and the decision is completely their own.





A sweet older woman happened to be in the kids section with us, she told me that she had two boys of her own, and now has a granddaughter. We talked a bit about raising boys and then she was on her way.
As we were making our final book decisions she found us again, she said she just came back to tell me that she thinks I'm a really good mom.
That was the best gift.
Even writing about it now it brings tears to my eyes.


Eli picked this Encyclopedia style book about trains. It's target audience is likely young teenagers, but Eli had his heart set on it. He was so proud of his book.
When we got home he even insisted on taking his nap with it.


Sweet boy.

I wanted a picture of the three of us.
I finished out the last day of my twenties with a trip to the park, and then a dinner at Red Robin with Uncle Steve. I have a history of birthdays spent at Red Robin, so this was a fitting ending for the decade.






The LAST DINNER of a decade. 
----------

On my birthday I woke up to the sounds of little boys up to something downstairs. Trust me, I know what it sounds like.
Julian had made breakfast, and they had presents and cards set up for me. I told Julian that I wanted him to take Max to Target and let him pick what he wanted to get me, free of persuasion.
I was so curious to see what he'd picked, I assumed it would be some funny random thing.
But it wasn't.


He picked this necklace with an elephant on it, because he knows I love elephants.
Queue tears.
I will always treasure it, the tag says "it's the little things", it couldn't be more apt.


After spending a decade together, Julian knows me so well, he had picked out simple gifts he knew I'd love...my favorite tea, a new book, and new day planner. I think he has learned by now that I am not one for fancy things, and I could tell he put a lot of thought into my gifts, the cards, everything. Of all the things I am grateful for in my twenties, one of the greatest is spending it's entirety loving and being loved by Julian.

The rest of the day was a typical Wednesday, we did the morning rush getting Max to school, then Eli gifted me with a 2.5 hour nap so I could read, edit pictures, and enjoy the quiet.


We Skyped with Chris and Jenny to celebrate both Jenny and my birthday. We felt it was finally occasion enough to pop the cork on the ridiculously expensive bottles of wine we got from Tejay as his wedding favor. It was intimidating to try, we figured it was about $20 a sip!
It was definitely good wine, but I think the complexity was lost a bit on me...Julian said it had good legs.

Our usual chaotic dinner routine followed, Julian had planned to make a fancy chicken parmigiana but the boys were starving and impatient so we scrapped that plan for a simpler one. In the midst of everything, Eli put the 0 candle in a secret location, so my birthday apple pie donned a lone 3 candle (we did eventually find it). They sang we the sweetest happy birthday I've heard.
And just like that I turned thirty.
Happily.

----------
Even after the official day, there was still more celebrating, I really was spoiled this year.

We met friends in Denver for a trip to the aquarium and a birthday lunch.







My favorite. 


We dined with mermaids and tried our best to keep a conversation going while the four boys struggled to sit still. It was a fun lunch with friends complete with a huge chocolate shark themed dessert!
---------

Finally, after a solid week of celebrations we finished up with a brunch with my Mom.


She made this precious video of my baby pictures for my birthday, so touching, the boys and I have watched it over and over.

This picture doesn't do the sparkly diamonds justice. 

She said she wanted to give me a special piece of jewelry for my 30th, something special that I could always keep as a reminder of her and this celebration.
I love it.
She was so thoughtful in her choice, it is pretty durable, so I look forward to wearing it for special occasions, and also on regular days that need some extra sparkle.

----------

I am so grateful for the many people who gathered to celebrate my birthday, the cards, the calls, the texts, the Facebook messages, all of it.

I am grateful to the Lord for each of my thirty years, some in the past decade have been the most challenging and difficult of my life. They have also been the most joyful, tender, and memorable.

I'm still contemplating my "goal for the year", if I end up having one...
As for my goal last year, get in the picture, I am calling it a success!




No comments:

Post a Comment